Monday, September 20, 2010

My Mother's Messages

One thing I love about being abroad is that despite being thousands of miles away from home, I can still feel my mother's love. Instead of nagging and probing, it takes on the form of grammatically offensive and emoticon-filled emails. Different medium of expression, same abundance of affection.

Mon, Aug 9. 1.46 PM


Wed, Aug 11. 1.04 PM


Mon, Aug 30. 8.22 AM
*She titled this one 'Brandy's foot'.


I miss the parentals when I'm not talking to them, yet when I do I can't wait to get away from their incessant questions, especially my dad. When I help out with the cell phone game in Act III I look at all those middle aged people my parents' age and suddenly they don't seem so annoying anymore. I feel especially delighted when old ladies and men break into expressions of joy at the successful sending of a text message. I don't know if anyone feels that same sort of affinity to the Chinese tourists. Probably not, especially if you saw how aggressive and pushy these people are, but I'm weird. I really don't mind...the interactions are enjoyable.

1 comment:

  1. i love when people successfully send text messages

    i also love when they "successfully" send the text and their effort is just blatantly incorrect

    my favorite was an old man who just watched placidly until i stuck a stevie in his shirt pocket and then he just smiled really big :-D

    ReplyDelete